Crash Smash Serenity

Street samurai, deckrunners, ah.. you know the drill.
magnus
Level 9

Re: Crash Smash Serenity

Postby magnus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:15 am

sorry guys hopefully brodie will make a better gm

Lewis
Epic Level 25
Location: Secret Lair, in a cavern somewhere beneath Telford.

Postby Lewis » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:04 am

Well, I can't have 50 years of experience, because - according to the young ladies at work - I'm only 38!

As Tiddy says, you can meticulously plan a game (as I did with the Spycraft: Mercenaries game). The things to bear in mind here are (a) this is only feasible if you have a lot of spare time, and (b) as our old mate, von Moltke once said - no plan survives first contact with the enemy (or players).

So, sooner or later, you end up winging it and ad libbing (as I did with The Chronicles of Corwyn - I'll let players decide if this or Mercenaries was better). It may sound counter-intuitive, but what helps is learning how to prepare to improvise. If you know your setting and you know your NPCs and have prepared these, then you are in a much better place from which to react to the crazy antics of your players. Then you can keep the game running smoothly with some sort of sensible dramatic logic, but without railroading the players along a pre-determined plot.

There are books you can get that help (Robin Laws etc). Ultimately, though, on-the-job training is what forges a good GM. And you have to be prepared to make mistakes, and be honest and humble enough to learn from them. I've certainly made a few howlers in my time!

Playing: Telford: Dark Heresy.
Running: Cannock: Legends of Corwyn/D&D, Telford: Forgotten Realms: Heroes of Faerûn/D&D.
Prepping: Chill (modern day horror) Tales From The Loop (1980s sci-fi/horror)

Jester
Level 9

Postby Jester » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Josh, you were doing a cracking job, like Lewis and Tidy said.... It's all down to practice! Hopefully we will see more of your GMing, take lots of notes and get to know your system really well, the rest is confidence, and bull shot. ;)
If all about you are losing their heads.... maybe your the one holding the axe!!

roleplaysucks
Level 11

Postby roleplaysucks » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:27 pm

Great advice guys.

I said last year about doing a campaign block of one-offs, think I'll plan for one of those soon, that way you can try running a few hours of a game, if you like it, build on it.

I'll plan for this in a few weeks, if anyone's interested, just plan a few hours of a game with pregens ready to use.
"Dont mess with Roleplaysucks, he's a lunatic!!" - Megatron
"Roleplaysucks beat me in a tiddly-winks game once....true bass ass!!"- Batman
"Even I'm scared of Roleplaysucks!!" - Chuck Norris

Mark
Level 4

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:42 pm

Josh / Brodie

Are you likely to be back at the club this Sunday (09/02/2014)?

Just want to know because if not I’ll prep something to run for Alex and Jez.

Ta,

Mark

Jester
Level 9

Postby Jester » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:09 am

I will bring a board game and my card games, just in case, but prefer to role play. If the cyberpunk game is off, then Tom's Idea of one offs for the rest of the set.
If all about you are losing their heads.... maybe your the one holding the axe!!

Mark
Level 4

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:41 pm

I'll bring "Squadron UK" it's a re-vamp of the 80's GW Golden Heroes. Its got a very quick and easy character creation so wouldn't take long to form "Team Cannock".

I might also bring "The Laundry files" but thats a bit more complex and you essentially play a civil servant..... a civil servant that fights cultists and Mythos creatures. But still just a civil servant.

Mitch
Level 3

Postby Mitch » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:43 pm

So pretty much a normal day at the office Mark?

Mark
Level 4

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:16 pm

Hi guys,

I feel like crap so I won't be coming tonight.

Mark

Return to “Cyberpunk”