D&Dathon

blackknight
Level 5

D&Dathon

Postby blackknight » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:30 pm

Could I get some idea of numbers from everyone, please let me know if you would like to attend and how long you think you would like to do. You could do say 10AM - 6PM on the Saturday then 12 - 10PM on the Sunday if people really do not think they could stay up all night then we could just do 10 - 10 on both days, let me know your thoughts please.
When the battle looks lost RUN

mik33dwards
Level 1

Re: D&Dathon

Postby mik33dwards » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:17 pm

personally i think we should go with the 10-10 on both days because it eliminates the issue of tiredness with most players. I think i shall be attending as it seems like a fun exercise, but will it be multiple games, or one huge game?

wherestheinn
Level 2

Postby wherestheinn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:53 am

Quick explanation for anyone who looked at this thread and was not at the week 4 chat - Mick (The Stick) has suggested a RPG charity event at the church hall over a weekend sometime next year. This thread is to gauge interest.

One question regarding the time is how are we looking at raising money? If we will be asked to get sponsorship I think 24 hours non-stop will appear more of a challenge to friends and family than two 10 hour stints. However, if it will just be a small donation from anyone attending then we could try either.

We also need to decide what charity (or charities) would benefit as there are several that are important to the various members at the club.

We ran one at the Pelsall club many, many years ago, from 10am Saturday till 10am Sunday. Like I planned to do at Tiddycon 1 (before everyone just went off and did their own thing - not that I'm still annoyed :evil: ) we agreed on 4 or 6 hour blocks and placed a blackboard in the middle of the room. Anyone who wanted to run just added the name and time of their game and anyone interested added their name underneath.

I think it will have to be a number of games - one DM trying to run with Sigmar knows how many players would be daft! I'm not saying that one or more groups can't attempt to go for 24 hours, my personal record is 8 or 9 hours at B&P one year and I'd be happy to go for 12 and see what happens after than.

One piece of advice for anyone trying for 24 hours is - don't run a hack n slash game dungeon bash (or if you do make sure your players are happy with that in advance lol)!!! ;)

Another option is merge it with Tiddycon 3 - Return of the Tiddy (sorry, couldn't resist). Seriously though, we could turn what we laughingly call Tiddycon into the charity event. I'm not sure how many weekend passes those members with "Better Halves" can get for geeking per year :lol:

However as this is for charity we should try and promote it as much as possible and make sure everyone gets plenty of warning to clear their diaries (including other geeking groups). The Tiddycon turnout this year was a bit disappointing to be honest :cry:

Something to consider.

blackknight
Level 5

Postby blackknight » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:51 pm

Thank you Tiddy for the explanation, right now I have a health scare I need to get sorted before I can concentrate my efforts on the charity event. Making Tiddycon a charity event is a great idea, we should set up a vote for either a straight 24hr or 2x 12hr (10 til 10 on both days) shifts and work from there. We should get sponsors from friends/family and any local interested companies, I will try to get more involved once I know for certain I do not have cancer.

Mickthestick
When the battle looks lost RUN

BiggBoss
Level 1

Postby BiggBoss » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:37 pm

I certainly like the idea of chunking the day into pieces. Just thinking about how it runs at the uk games expo, no session runs longer than 4hrs and you'd have to give people breaks in between sessions. I'm off to Telford next Saturday as their boarders club is running a 24hrs event for children in need... I'll see if I can pick some brains.

wherestheinn
Level 2

Postby wherestheinn » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:09 am

The thing to remember about UK Expo is that it's a rip off...sorry I mean business and trying to make money :twisted: ! By having lots of short games and making visitors pay for each one they join (after they have already paid to enter the building!) will make them more money than allowing groups to play one game for the duration of the day.

On the flip side, Beer & Pretzels charged one fee for the entire day (or weekend) and after that the only thing you paid for was food and drink! You could play as many games for as long as you wanted!

Think about how much we actually get done on a Sunday evening :? . You will be lucky if you complete 2 good size combats lol, but when the game goes on for several weeks you don't really notice. Last Sunday I started a new game and we managed to get through 1 and a bit punch-ups!! OK, the first hour or so was the players trying to read the notes on their character sheets (one player has a +2 shocking something apparently, but he can't read his own writing??!?!) but 6 adventurers vs 8 better than average zombies, 2 carcass eaters and a Deathlock took over 2 and a half hours!!! That left us one combat round against one Zombie and the Zombie Rats before it was time to pack up!

Most UK Expo games are a quick warm-up rumble, a skills test or 2 and then the big punch-up :D .

My personal preference is the option of a mixture of both short games and a couple of all day Epics (by the look of it Ravenloft is going to take years to complete unless I kill everyone off...)

I'd also suggest that we look at just one day, but this time make sure we put adverts in all the local gaming stores (Stafford, Lichfield, Wolves etc), contact the Vine Inn Gamers, Odins Table, gaming websites and charge everyone a fiver - all entry fees to the charity. The last two Tiddy.Cons have been word of mouth only! Add in a raffle, bring & buy etc but try to bring in visitors outside the club. By the look of it no one fancies 24 hours (Personally I'd be up for it - though it may kill me :o ) and trying to make a brand new event last 2 days may be a bit much (I think we'd struggle to get visitors both days).

Start small and build up. 8-)

Return to “Mick's Games”